COVID Safe Activities for Labor Day
Labor Day weekend is finally here but typical activities will look different as we continue to adjust to the “new normal”. Labor Day is a Federal Holiday in the United States to acknowledge the importance of the labor movement and how American workers have made a positive impact on our Nation today. This Holiday, celebrated the first Monday in September, usually consist of public gatherings such as barbeques, parades, picnics, firework shows and parties. However, due to the pandemic, you may be trying to think of other ways to celebrate. Sentido Health recognizes the stress that your loved ones might be facing and is here to give you fun, safe, ideas for your family this Labor Day weekend.
1. Arts and Crafts
Arts and crafts are a great way to help kids understand the meaning of Labor Day, while allowing them to express their creativity. Adults can also join the fun and relieve some stress by bringing out their inner child. After the crafts are complete, come together as a family and decorate the house with everyone’s new masterpieces!
- Painting Fireworks with Toilet Paper Rolls: https://www.happinessishomemade.net/4th-of-july-kids-craft-painting-fireworks/
- Patriotic Handprint: https://www.instagram.com/p/CBg5PWVntNV/?igshid=12rqn8ao38cji
- Popsicle Stick Flags: https://www.michaels.com/craft-stick-american-flag/B_81296.html
2. Backyard Waterpark & Games
Outdoor games and water activities are always a hit with children! With summer coming to an end, try these fun ways to cool off in your own backyard. Just don’t forget the sunscreen!
- Pool Noodle Sprinkler: https://ziggityzoom.com/ultimate-pool-noodle-sprinkler/
- Water Balloon Piñatas: https://milkallergymom.com/2017/02/a-food-allergy-safe-backyard-water-party.html
- DIY Slip and Slide: https://www.allthingsthrifty.com/how-to-build-a-huge-slip-n-slide-fun-for-all-ages/
- Obstacle Courses & Non-water Activities: https://www.happinessishomemade.net/backyard-games-for-kids-adults/
3. Family Cooking & Baking
Family cooking is a great way to bring everyone together! Try a fun twist on the classic Labor Day BBQ by having everyone make their favorite dish for a family “potluck”. This is great for families with older kids who enjoy putting their cooking skills to the test. If a Labor Day BBQ is a must for your family, try having the kids make fun sides or desserts. For some patriotic sides and dessert ideas, check the links below!
- Red White & Blue Fruit Salad: https://twohealthykitchens.com/red-white-and-blue-fruit-salads/
- Patriotic Mac & Cheese: https://www.pennypinchinmom.com/red-white-blue-ma/
- USA Marshmallow Pops: https://www.blog.birdsparty.com/2014/07/last-minute-4th-of-july-treat-easy-red.html
4. Homemade Firework Poppers for Kids
Fireworks can be a safety hazard for children when not handled correctly. Avoid the risk and make homemade firework poppers! Kids get to still enjoy the “pop” and the patriotic colors without the hazard. They are also a blast to make and can be decorated however you like!
- Firework Poppers: https://www.lifewithmylittles.com/firework-poppers/
5. Virtual Game or Movie Night
A great way to spend time with friends and family, who aren’t in the same household, is to play a virtual game or watch a movie together online! Check out these links that explain exactly what you need to do in order to have a smooth virtual night with loved ones.
- How to Plan Virtual Family Game Night: https://www.countryliving.com/entertaining/a31995635/virtual-game-night-ideas/
- Best Ways to Watch Movies Together Online: https://www.polygon.com/21295526/how-to-watch-movies-with-friends-together-online-netflix-party-hulu-squad-disney-plus-watch2gether
*Sentido Health is not responsible for any injuries or damages incurred during participation in any of the before mentioned ideas or suggestions. Please enjoy these activities at your own risk. Sentido wishes everyone a safe and healthy Labor Day weekend!