Ketogenic Diet Therapy During COVID-19
Starting the Ketogenic Diet at home during COVID-19
During the COVID-19 pandemic, many people are adhering to stay-at-home orders and medical teams are relying heavily on telemedicine appointments. This provides the opportunity for some patients to start the Ketogenic Diet (KD) at home under the guidance of their medical team.
Keto Connection is a program designed to help you initiate and manage the KD safely and effectively. Registered Dietitians will work with your doctor if a ketogenic diet team is not available at your hospital or clinic.
Hospital vs. Home Ketogenic Diet Initiations
Traditionally, the classic KD has been started in the hospital over a 3-4 day admission. During this time, the KD is quickly advanced to the goal ratio (for example 4:1 or 3:1 ratio) determined by the medical team. Education is provided during the hospital stay, side effects are monitored closely and follow-up appointments occur on an outpatient basis for ongoing management of the diet.
When starting the KD at home, you will likely advance the diet to your goal ratio slower (possibly over a few weeks) rather than a few days as would occur in the hospital setting. This provides adequate time for frequent telemedicine appointments with your doctor and dietitian. Many topics need to be discussed for the KD to be initiated and incorporated into your daily life successfully. A few of the topics include the following:
- Meal plan and recipe creation
- Guidance on fluid intake
- Sick day guidelines
- Low carbohydrate products safe to use on KD – such as toothpaste!
- Switching medications over to low carbohydrate forms
- Ensuring adequate vitamin/mineral supplementation
- Education on how to check urine ketones
Preparation is key! Make sure you have the following supplies and foods ready before starting the KD at home.
- Scale for monitoring your weight
- Gram scale for weighing foods
- Ketone strips
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Nuts/Nut butters
- Fresh, frozen or canned Fruits and Vegetables
Hamburger Salad Recipe
- 30 Cream, 36%
- 22 Tomato, Cherry – raw
- 25 Lettuce, Romaine
- 25 Beef, ground 80% lean – cooked
- 18 Oil, Olive
- 17 Nuts, Macadamia – raw
- Weigh all ingredients Cook ground beef in olive oil. Chop vegetables and nuts and serve over meat and lettuce. Drizzle any remaining oil over salad. Dilute the cream with water and drink as “milk” or whip cream and enjoy as a dessert.
*Sample recipe for a 4:1 ratio
Sentido Health understands that ketogenic diets are an important part of medical treatment for many people. As medical care continues to evolve during the pandemic, Keto Connection is here to help you and your medical team initiate ketogenic diets and provide ongoing support. To consult a Keto Connection Registered Dietitian, please contact (832-684-6124).
*Ketogenic Diet Therapy should only be initiated by a neurologist*